In certain occasions, homeowners have to undertake bigger projects that lead them to generating more waste than they usually do. If you’re planning a kitchen remodel or you’re going to redesign your garden, using the roadside wheelie bin might not be enough to accommodate the rubbish you’re going to get rid of. On the other hand, the quick and convenient waste removal solution is to hire a skip bin.
Skip bins are perfect for a wide range of waste removal applications. Apart from household rubbish, they are also ideal for builders, renovation, commercial and industrial waste. If you are planning to book one, make sure you follow our tips in this article to maximise your skip bin hire service. This way, you can get the best value for your money.
Choose the Ideal Skip Bin Size
Generally, suppliers offer skip bin sizes ranging from 2 to 8 cubic meters. However, there are also companies that provide bigger bins for industrial and commercial use. When you are determining the size of the skip, you have to consider the amount and type of waste you are going to get rid of. For example, if you are dealing with various types of waste, it may be advisable to hire multiple small bins. This will allow you to separate the rubbish properly.
In general, the safer option is to hire a bin that is a bit bigger. Keep in mind that skip suppliers are mandated by law to reject overloading bins. So, if you happen to hire a smaller bin and the waste goes above the limit marks, they will leave the excess rubbish on your property. So, you will end up hiring another bin.
To give you a general idea of the type of bin you should hire, look at the simple guide below:
- 2m3 – For spring cleaning or minor residential clean-up projects, hiring this mini skip bin will suffice.
- 3m³ – Planning to move to a new home or cleaning up your backyard? Well, this skip bin is just the perfect size. It can effectively accommodate two trailers’ worth of rubbish.
- 4m³ – When you’re renovating multiple rooms in your home or you are clearing out your garage, this is the perfect skip bin size to book. This bin has the same cargo capacity as three to four trailers.
- 6m³ – Getting rid of bigger amounts of waste is convenient when you hire a 6m3 skip bin. This is the ‘in-between’ size which can be used for residential applications, as well as for commercial waste from renovators and builders. It can carry the same load as 40 wheelbarrows or five trailers.
- 8m³ – If you’re getting rid of rubbish generated by a large construction project, you should hire this skip bin. It can accommodate six trailers’ worth of waste.
- 10m³ – This bin is typically booked by large construction businesses that typically remove tonnes of waste. It can effectively accommodate eight trailers’ worth of rubbish.
- 12m³ – Getting rid of rubbish generated by a home strip-out or a deceased estate? This skip bin is the ideal size you’d need.
Place the Bin on a Strategic Location
Before you even book a bin, think of the appropriate location for it in your property. Remember that skips can be heavy. Moreover, once they are placed, it can be challenging to move them around. So, you have to ensure that it will be placed on a strategic location. Here are some tips on choosing where to place your bin:
- Place the bin in close proximity to where you plan to gather the waste.
- Avoid placing the bin by the road. Your neighbours might be inclined to throw their own rubbish in your skip.
- Make sure that the surface is solid and flat. If necessary, level certain surfaces by placing wooden blocks.
- Remember that the skip bin supplier must be able to effectively drive their truck to the location you chose. As such, it is essential for you to check if a truck can go through your gates.
Carefully Select your Skip Bin Supplier
When you go online, you will discover that there are several skip bin companies in Australia. Some of them may even offer rock-bottom prices. However, not all of them offers reliable service and quality skip bins. So, when it comes to choosing a supplier, it is crucial to find the best in the industry. You should only place your trust in a reputable skip bin hire company.
There are many ways to ensure that you are not dealing with a dodgy business. You can ask your friends or relatives for recommendations. On the other hand, you can always search online for customer reviews. Make sure you get quotes from several suppliers and compare their prices. You can even ask for certifications to ensure that the company you chose can be trusted.